Whorlton Suspension Bridge is one of the UK’s oldest road suspension bridges with the deck totally supported by its original iron chains.
The bridge was formally opened on 7th July 1831. It was originally designed to carry horses and carts with coal, however, in 1914 the structure was assessed and it was recommended that a 3-ton weight limit be imposed on the bridge which has remained in place to date.
In December 1942, Winston Churchill stood on Whorlton Bridge to watch soldiers train in the meadows on the south bank, wade through the River Tees, and then tackle the steep Durham cliffs in their preparations for D-Day.
On behalf of our client, Engineering Consultancy Service Limited, Inspire (Structures) Ltd’s rope access team carried out a deck inspection.
At the start of the 21st Century, the bridge had a £90,000 overhaul, but it was closed to vehicles on 24th July 2019. Following further assessments, the bridge is now closed to all users due to public safety.